Are You and Your Partner Struggling With Conflict and Disconnection?
- Does it seem as though intimacy, passion and care have faded from your relationship?
- Are you and your partner finding yourselves in the same circular arguments, leaving you both feeling unheard and misunderstood?
- Do you avoid bringing up important topics because you fear they will cause an argument?
- Has an affair or another breach of trust caused a schism in your relationship?
- Are career, financial or family stresses creating tension and distance between you and your partner?
- Do you worry that you and your partner are sexually incompatible?
- Alternately, do you feel happy in your relationship, but want to continue nurturing the healthy foundation you share, especially if you are preparing for marriage?
- Do you wish you could learn positive ways to communicate, reconnect and fall in love with your partner again?
No matter how long you and your significant other have been together, navigating relationship issues can be disheartening and isolating. You may feel as though you don’t have anyone you can talk to about these relationship problems, especially if you and your partner share friend groups or feel embarrassed or guilty about the fractures in your relationship. It might seem as though no one can offer the nonjudgmental, unbiased insight you need to resolve conflicts and move forward in a way that supports you both.
Or, if you and your partner are doing well and envisioning your life together, you may wish to further develop your communication skills so you can continue to operate as a loving team, regardless of what challenges arise.
Whether you’re in the midst of a painful period in your relationship, or you wish to prepare for the future, you might wonder what you can do to build the satisfying, lasting relationship you long for.
All Relationships Take Work and Commitment
Because relationships are built up of unique individuals—with different backgrounds, personalities and communication styles—occasional disagreement and frustration are inevitable. Add to that the stress of balancing work responsibilities, personal hobbies, social and family obligations and everything else that makes up a person’s life, and it’s no wonder that couples sometimes drift apart, experience tension or face other relationship problems.
Movies, television shows, social media feeds and other messaging often depict the ideal of a “perfect” relationship, which can make it all the more painful when it seems that your relationship doesn’t meet that standard. In truth, however, no relationship is perfect, and there is hope to reconnect with your partner and build a supportive, trusting relationship.
Couples Counseling Can Bring You and Your Partner Together
Our therapists are here to help whether you are dealing with a crisis, a challenging transition, seeking to make changes around troublesome behaviors or just looking to improve an already good relationship. We work with couples of all orientations, backgrounds and stages, from partners to spouses to those seeking premarital counseling. We will create an atmosphere of safety and trust with your significant other, where you can be vulnerable and practice listening to each other. Our goal is to help you understand and feel understood within your relationship.
During couples counseling, you can:
- Bring increased satisfaction, joy and understanding to the relationship
- Become more aware of and connected to each other’s emotions
- Improve communication and listening skills
- Face and resolve conflict in a more effective manner
- Regain individuality within the relationship
- Cope with differences in lifestyle choices
- Enhance intimacy
- Learn how to deal with recurrent issues within the relationship
- Overcome issues around extended family
- Repair trust and insecurities
Our approach to couples therapy combines elements of many schools of thought, depending upon the needs of the couple. We draw from training in Emotional Focused Couples Therapy (EFT), Imago Relationship Counseling, and Gottman to help couples work through their issues on a deep, lasting level. Some of the things that we will work on with your couples therapist include gaining practical tools to help you feel more connected to your partner, learning to manage emotions and addressing repetitive patterns that continue to cause stress within your relationship. In time, you and your partner can develop new, productive relationship patterns and feel equipped to face future challenges with shared trust and mutual respect.
You may have questions or concerns…